Monday, May 13, 2013

Changes in the Gymnastics World

The whole gymnastics world is changing. There used to be levels one through ten, ten being the most difficult. Most gyms do not start putting their gymnasts' in competition until they have reached level four.
USA gymnastics decided there needs to be another level. So to the gymnasts' if you were a level six you are now a level five. The gymnasts' did not like this very much. It brought down their self esteem, and even made some gymnasts want to give up. . The changes were just made and will be enforced next competitive season. Being a coach I see first hand how the gymnasts' reacted to this change. Some girls even cried because they have worked so hard to be where they are, and they feel demoted for no reason at all.
I was once a gymnast and I can not say I would react the same way as some of the gymnasts' I coach. I believe that this change should make you want to work harder. Gymnastics is a very challenging and demanding sport, you have to be a certain kind of person to be a gymnast.
I think that a change needed to be made, but I think their could have been a better solution to this change. They could have just added a level eleven, but then that brings up the issue of the level tens who have worked their whole life to get where they are now have to go even further. No matter what kind of change they made there would always be an issue, but a change absolutely needed to be done. I think this was a change for the better, even if some of my gymnasts' disagree.

No comments:

Post a Comment